**Christmas giveaway information at the bottom of the post!!**
With happy tummies full of paleo pie Jared and I are finishing up our first ‘Christmas’ of the year here in Texas with his family. At the same time we’re gearing up for round two at home in Redding and shopping for a third round with my family in London! I’m sure we’ve just come round the corner from 3 digit heat and daily bowls of banana ice cream and now the sun is on its way behind the mountains before I even think about dinner and it’s Christmas shopping time! I love this time of year!
As you can imagine, a large proportion of the items on my wish list for Santa (ok make that 100% of them!) are kitchen and food related, so I thought I’d help you get ready for gift giving season and as I delve into dreamland to create my own wish list, I’m sharing some of it with you to inspire your dreaming and your buying. This is a round up of some of my favourite kitchen items, staples, much loved foods, treats and some of the things I’m dreaming of for myself… Happy Holidays!
1) Miniature skillets! A Lodge Cast Iron mini skillet to be precise. We’re starting with a staple and a classic. My baby skillet from Lodge lives stove top and is used every day. They are perfect for heating up single servings, making individual fritattas and for warming milk for my husband’s late night study fueling mochas! For an extra stylish colorful version try the Le Creuset range.
2) A leather mason jar sleeve from The Mason Bar Company. Being a huge fan of all things green, reusable and waste free means all my drinks go in mason jars. For the winter with hot drinks that requires a hand protecting sleeve and the most stylish and wonderful ones in existence come from the Mason Bar Company. The Whisky Cuff for the 24oz wide mouth jar is my fave. Sleek and beautiful, and still masculine enough for my husband to happily take it to his morning meetings!
3) The Paleo Patisserie: An Artisan Approach to Grain Free Baking For the last few months I’ve even left wide eyed every time the uber talented Jenni Hulet (aka @theurbanposer) taunts us with pictures of her journey to this masterpiece of a dessert cookbook. Whether or not you eat grains or follow a paleo lifestyle I highly recommend My Paleo Patisserie. Classically trained and paleo converted pastry chef Jenni Hulet will wow you over and over again with her beyond stunning dessert creations and help you create healthy but uncompromising versions of everything you would find in the best French bakery.
4) Nohmad Snack Company Chocolate. When we hear the claims of chocolate being healthy, these bars from Nohmad Snack Company are the kind they are talking about. Raw cacao, all organic, sweetened with maple sugar and absolutely divine. I probably eat chocolate 360 days of the year so having a great clean, well sweetened (or unsweetened) option is important to me!
5) A stylish Ceramic Egg Crate from Anthropologie. In baking I often need eggs at room temperature. No one wants the cardboard egg box sitting on the counter but equally I don’t want them rolling around… Cue, cute Anthropology designed ceramic egg crate and suddenly we all want our eggs adorning our counter tops. A sleek addition to any kitchen that will have your eggs ready at room temperature for all your baking endeavors. (One day I also hope to use this when I hop into the house after rounding up the eggs from our future layer hens… Please dearest husband?!)
6) A non stick baking sheet from Silpat. Again on the green train, this is a hassle free alternative to parchment paper. More than the green reasoning though, I’ve had too many times when the oven is preheated, my cookies are ready to go… and the parchment paper drawer is empty. This will save you in that moment over and over again
7) The Yellow Table: A Celebration of Everyday Gatherings A beautiful and classy portrait of seasonally inspired dining. If you follow our daily eating you’ll know that this year I’ve fallen in love with my weekly produce box and the seasonal eating that it’s inspired in our home. In her recently released book, New Yorker Anna Watson Carl brings you the best of both every day, and dinner party style seasonal eating / gives you an exquisite and elegant taste of seasonal eating that will have you itching to jump out of your front door in search of the nearest Farmer’s Market!
8) The Ultimate Farmer’s Market Tote from Proper Assembly. After being seasonally inspired and running to your local market, you’re going to want a way to carry your handfuls of farmers market bounty home and a white plastic bag is not the way forward folks. I’d like to introduce you to a tote that I think was designed perfectly for effortless style and practically at the market. This water resistant bag (real food often comes with dirt, we like that but it might need wiping down after!) folds up into its own attached pouch to fit neatly in your purse while your peruse then unfolds to the perfect size to fill with goodies. If you needed an added bonus, for every tote purchased, a bag is given to help start a business given in a developing country. These guys at Proper Assembly are the real deal.
9) Pure Flake Sea Salt from Jacobsen Salt. It’s not often that the salt alone makes you want to return to a restaurant. But when we tasted this salt at a friendly breakfast cafe in Portland, Oregon, it did exactly that. Locally sourced, unrefined and packed full of flavour I didn’t know could be found in salt, this little jar will transform your kitchen creations so that even a piece of toast has your guests asking for more.
10) Ultimate Epic Gift Set. *Stocking Stuffer Pick* My wonderfully healthy gym rat boss introduced me to Epic bars and I was instantly hooked! Finally, an amazing substantial protein boost from grass fed meat protein with a clean ingredient list and no sugar. One of the keys in healthy eating for me is to always be prepared with food in my car and bag so I don’t make choices I don’t want to make! These are the perfect protein filled post workout, on the go, travel or just at-home snack pack. This gift set is gorgeous or for the stocking stuffer option go for the individual Hunter Gatherer Mixes (which are also conveniently seasonally coloured!).
11) A citrus zester. My least favourite job in the kitchen growing up was zesting lemons, limes and oranges on a grater. It wasn’t until last month that I discovered citrus zesters. Game changer. It’s now one of my favorite tasks and made so easy, quick and very effective with this nifty little kitchen must have.
12) Waxed Canvas lunch bags. For kids and adults alike, this is the ultimate in stylish lunch bag options. As a kid I did not have a cool lunch box. (I’ve recovered, don’t worry). But now I’m still left scrambling for brown bags for our lunches. For kids and adults alike, this waxed canvas twist on the bowl paper is the ultimate match of style and practicality.
13) Organic Cococnut Green Tea Kombucha starter kit from Oregon Kombucha. Kombucha is another things we’ve fallen in love with this year. Reputed for having numerous health benefits and full of gut loving bacteria it’s also a great alternative to sugar filled sodas. It can be a pricey habit if you drink it regularly but it’s extremely simple and fun to make it yourself. Jared got me one of these earlier in the year and with just some coconut green tea, organic sugar and patience it made the most amazing kombucha! Having your own scoby also gives you the freedom to try any flavor you like, pause and store the scoby when you don’t want to make more, and give the ‘baby’ scobies to friends each time you make a batch so they can enjoy the making process too.
14) Organic Acai Berry Powder. Bring the trendy restaurant trend home and start your mornings (or finish your nights or anywhere in between!) with a stylish and super healthy acai bowl. This powder is perfect for blending into fruits for a thick and nutrition filled bowl. Top with berries, nuts, granola or whatever you fancy for a loaded and life-giving meal.
15) An Organic Juice Cleanse. Let’s be real, however cleanly we eat over Christmas it feels refreshing to have a January reboot! Help someone you love to take the stress out of their New Year detox by having the organic cold pressed juices delivered right to their doorstep. I love my juicer but I discovered the luxury of a freshly made and delivered juice cleanse earlier in the year with juice blends from Project Juice and I fell in love. Treat someone special to the ultimate in clean eating love!
16) Alive and Radiant Kale Chips. These are my go-to road trip snack. A healthy and extremely happy munching option, these bags of superfood goodness will win over even the greatest of kaleophobes. I usually go for the savoury ones but for the holidays, do yourself a favour and try the Sea Salt Caramel version, you’ll melt.
17) Cuisinart 9 Cup Food Processor. Hands down the most used appliance in my kitchen and worth it’s weight in gold to me. From fresh pesto and clean salad dressings to homemade nut butters and raw desserts this baby is invaluable for healthy food prepping. Our kitchen runs on it!
18) Nut milk bag *Budget Pick* Along with the peeler at #20 on the list this nut milk bag is my favourite sub $10 pick for any healthy kitchen! You can go simple with just the bag, or indulge your friends with the souped-up Weck Jar version from Williams Sonoma. Making your own healthy nut milk is so easy and satisfying with the added bonus that you can customize them to create your favourite combos containing only the ingredients of your choice. Perfect for the picky foodie! (Our favourite is 50:50 cashew:coconut, sweetened with a squidgy medjool date and flavoured with vanilla, salt and cinnamon).
19) A vegetable spiralizer. This has been the trending kitchen item of the year and I had to include it because it’s one of my favorite tools in the kitchen with so many great uses. This nifty gadget will turn zucchinis into noodles, sweet potatoes into shoe string fries and so many other things. It’s guaranteed to make any health food lover your friend for life. If you’re looking for the stocking stuffer option, go for the julienne peeler from Oxo which is a genius little tool that I’m gradually adding to all my friends’ and family’s kitchens!
20) Locally Roasted Organic Scout Coffee. By no means least at number twenty, is one of the constants in our kitchen. A bag of organic, fairly traded and locally roasted coffee beans! My go-to at home is the Costa Rica from our friends at Scout Coffee but a bag of your favourite good organic beans is always a winner on the gift front! Some of our other favorites this year have been Portland based Water Avenue, local Mount Shasta Northbound and London’s wonderful Monmouth Coffee.
CHRISTMAS LIST GIVEAWAY!!
I’m so hugely excited about this!! Giving gifts is one of our absolute favorite things here in the Neusch house and this is as close as we can get for all of you wonderful people :) We are giving away to one lucky person pretty much everything on the Christmas Wish List, thanks to all the kind companies below who have put products under our virtual tree for us to pass on to you!!
- A gorgeous leather mason jar sleeve from The Mason Bar Company
- A sampler pack of divine raw chocolate from the Nohmad Snack Company
- A non stick baking mat from Silpat
- Organic Kombucha Starter Kit from Oregon Kombucha
- Organic Acai Berry Powder, Maple Cashews and Sweet Cacao nibs from Nativas Naturals
- Organic Cold Pressed Juices from our Project Juice friends in San Francisco
- Assorted Kandy Kale Chips from Alive and Radiant
- A Cuisinart 9 Cup Food Processor (My kitchen runs on this!!)
- A nut milk bag
- Locally Roasted Organic Scout Coffee
I’ll be posting a picture on Instagram each day from December 1-5th and you can tag 3 friends each day who you think would enjoy the Wish List goodies (or maybe people who you’d like to see shop the list for you!!). Each day you post you’ll be entered into a draw to win all of the goodies listed above!! You need a US mailing address to receive the goodies – either you or someone you’d like to gift it all to! (For bonus entries you can (a) regram any giveaway picture (one per day) to your (unlocked) account using the hashtag #twfdchristmas and tag us @thewholefooddiary and/or (b) follow all producers and become eligible for a bonus entry by tagging another three people!
And, if you’re close by, just hop over to our house for a ‘Happy Christmas’ doughnut, raw macaroon or piece of whatever’s in the oven!
Happy Christmas from Jared and Kezia!